[LAU] [LAD] seeking "fresh" way to process/shape human whisper in real-time

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 01:35:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM,  <ico at vt.edu> wrote:
> Quoting Loki Davison <loki.davison at gmail.com>:
>
>> Mod it with a string instrument is my preference. I know i'm a bit too
>> keen on acoustic instruments now days but it would be very neat to
>> have a cello or double bass, etc as the control source to be
>> filtered/modulate in with the whispers or each other. Guitar or bass
>> with an ebow would also work. Reso's are great for that.
>>
>> Loki
>>

> Many thanks for the suggestion Loki. Do you mind elaborating however? I am not
> sure what kind of modulation you are suggesting. Also, by reso, do you mean
> resonant filter?
>
> Many thanks!

Sorry for the slow reply, busy period! I'm suggesting you use the
string instrument as the controller of the whisper source/oscillator.
So in the basic case the volume of the string instrument controls the
volume of the whisper. You can then extend it so the other parameters
of the string instrument such as the frequency control something else
like the delay, spatial location or some filtering. Layering this
could sound quite interesting and you could combine layers of strings
and whispers controlled by strings. Sorry for the ambiguous wording;
by reso i was referring to a resonator guitar, a type of guitar that
works very well with an EBow and thus would be quite cool for this
use. Resonator guitars are made out of metal, I use this rather lovely
sounding gold tone, Paul Beard Signature:
http://www.goldtone.com/products/enlarge.asp?view=545

Loki