[LAU] Hydrogen questions

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 20:01:47 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, December 28, 2010 01:31:18 pm Brent Busby wrote:

> 1) This is probably pretty basic, but...can you send each
>     drum/instrument in a Hydrogen kit out a different
> physical audio output in Jack?  My whole setup is very

Yes.  In the audio driver setup, there is a check-box called
"per-instrument outputs."  This will create an output port
for each instrument/sample.

> 2) Hydrogen seems a lot like the Roland TR-series drum
> machines, based on putting notes on "ticks" on a grid.
> I didn't see much mention of free-form human feel
> drumming though.  Is there a way to just not quantize at
> all, and realize at least a standard 96 ticks per
> quarter note type of resolution (or more)?

Yes, just disable "quantization" -- which is a little push-
button on the pattern editor.  Use MIDI record to record a
pattern using a controller.

> 3) Also, all the discussion of entering rhythms in the
> documentation seemed to involve using the QWERTY
> keyboard, which obviously isn't going to be
> velocity-sensitive.  Is there a way to have an outboard

Use the MIDI record feature.  The QWERTY stuff is just for
uber-geeks.  You can edit velocity and even panning for each
note.

-gabriel