[LAU] flac2ogg in python - the right way = cross platform

Atte André Jensen atte at email.dk
Thu Dec 30 15:05:54 UTC 2010

On 2010-12-30 15:35, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:

> If you want Python, you probably have to have something that can make sure
> that your Python script are guarantied to run by itself and also the related
> helper programs and libraries in the Windows machine.

I want python. Actually the flac->ogg is just a small part of it, it
also parses some xml and unzips/zips and stuff...

> You can also write a shell script for Windows (develop it in freedos or
> something if you can't use a Windows machine).

Hmmm...

Maybe what I need is knowledge of a free (beer) commandline tool under
windows and osx that can convert flac to ogg. Seems (now that I look)
that sox is available. Probably needs some tweeking of the os.system
call (that I can't really do by myself anyways, since I don't have those
OSs), but besides that, I'm almost where I'd like to be...

NB: I don't really have a problem with the user having to install python
(and sox) by themselves. My script checks if sox is available and
reports a clean error otherwise, so python is the only
tricky-for-newbies part missing...

Thanks for the help!

--
Atte