[LAU] Dell 1394 4 pin connector

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Fri Dec 31 05:44:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 03:21:44PM -0800, Kim Cascone wrote:
> On 12/30/2010 12:57 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Kim Cascone<kim at anechoicmedia.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> and I don't want to upgrade to Jack2 since Synaptic wants to wipe all my
>>> audio apps with the install
>>> not sure why this is unless none of the apps support Jack2 in which case
>>> I'll pass on installing it
>> apps do not support jack1 or jack2. they support jack. packaging that
>> makes a jack client depend on specifically jack2 or jack1 is
>> erroneous.
>>
> I see -- but why would installing Jack2 uninstall all my audio apps?
> anyone hazard a guess?

Because your audio apps depend on JACK being present. No JACK, no audio apps, away they go.

It's been a while since I dealt with packaging, but IIRC the correct way to do this is to have the JACK package and the JACK2 (jackdmp 1.92) package be "alternatives" to each other.

This is, for example, how you can switch your MTA from Sendmail (eek!) to Postfix to ssmtp to whatever, without everything that depends on it being nuked.

You might want to file a bug with Ubuntu. They dropped the ball on this one.

-ken