[LAU] Dell 1394 4 pin connector

Kim Cascone kim at anechoicmedia.com
Fri Dec 31 19:03:04 UTC 2010

> For a quick check that it's working run jarckd as root:
>
> $ sudo jackd -d firewire
OK
> Setting permissions on the /dev/fw* files will only work temporarily.
> When you unplug and replug your device the file(s) will be re-created
> with the default (root) permissions. You need to create a udev rule.
OK
> Here is the file that I created:
>
> $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/60-firewire.rules
> KERNEL=="fw*", GROUP="audio", MODE="0664"

- is the prefix number in the filename '60-firewire.rules' related to
some aspect of the firewire setup?
     - or is "60" an arbitrary number?
- can I make the GROUP="kim" -- I'm not using "audio" group

> This will cause the fw* files to be created with audio as group, and the
> right permissions. Obviously you also need your user to be a member of
> audio.

at some point I plan on setting up a separate account for audio only
(disabling PulseAudio) and making an audio group
but given the time soak I've experienced with just upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10
I can't spend more time in tweak mode due to looming project deadlines