[LAU] (double) bass samples for Linuxsampler

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Fri Dec 31 23:23:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 04:41:07PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:
> > Yes, that Soulive. Awesome show. ?They opened with "Steppin", and then went from there. They did a Beatles medley, which was fun too. Then Karl Denson came out and did a second set with them, and then Nigel Hall came out and sang the last part of the set too.
>
> oh good grief. karl denson w/soulive? that's just too damn funky for
> just about anyone. i saw karl denson's tiny universe years ago and
> have a few of his records - that band (whoever is in it) is just on
> fire.

I'd never heard of him before this seeing that show. I was very impressed. He was the highlight of the night for me, actually. The band looked absolutely thrilled and honored to be working with him, and they said so too, several times. I can see why.

> > A good time was had by all. I spent a lot of time over by stage left, studying what the keyboard/bass player was doing. Which was, mostly, keeping the keyboard parts simple, and going bananas on bass instead.
> >
> > This is what he was using for a bass sound:
> > http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/trilian.php
>
> he was playing a MIDI bass pedal?

No, he was playing what looked like a weighted-key MIDI keyboard controller with his left hand, which was connected to that Trillian sampled bass.   So his setup was, B3, then a MIDI controller for bass sitting atop the B3, then a Clav on a rack on top of that. The MacBook was on a stand to the right.

They live in Woodstock, I thought. If you're on the East Coast, I'm sure there are lots of opportunities to see them.

-ken