[LAU] Portable Digital Recorders

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Mon Feb 1 18:25:16 EST 2010

On 02/01/2010 11:35 PM, Rick Green wrote:
> On the source website (theatreofnoise.com), he claims:
>
> In this article I will measure noise using Equivalent Input Noise (EIN)
> A-weighted at 150 ohms, measured in dBu.

those are real measurements by a third party? weird.
i had it down as vendor marketing hype. would be interesting to find out
how he did the measurements...

as fons stated, of course the values around 106 and above would be
really bad, but as i found, such is live with many consumer gadgets :(

i'm no circuit designer, but i'd also argue it's not just the preamp
design, but also the fact that you only have a very low voltage to drive
it, and possibly rather cheap converters, which should all add to the
EIN value of such a device.

so the comparison to "where it's getting interesting" is a bit off imho,
given the price range of the units. you'd hardly find a single
"interesting" preamp for the price of one of those entire gadgets.
(or at least that's what i want to believe, having just paid an arm and
a leg for "interesting" stuff...)

best,

jörn