[LAU] CENSORING public archives (Was: Problem post)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 11:48:27 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 4:29 AM, Marc-Olivier Barre
<marco at marcochapeau.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:31:33 -0500, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:
>> Marc, this is a top priority matter. Could you please look into t before
>> te end of the day?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> Ico
>>
>> Michael Ost <most at museresearch.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Marc,
>>>
>>>Can you help me delete a post please? We are under threat of a lawsuit
>>>because of it, so I'm eager to get this resolved. Help?
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Michael Ost

Hi all,
   I have no direct vested interest in any of the products or
companies involved here.

   From my POV mailing lists are public. The post is out there and all
someone has to do is copy the post and send it to 100 mailing lists
with the title "Look at the interesting post in LAU about iLok and
censoring" and it's never going to go away. I still have a copy here
in GMail. I think redacting it from one list's archives when it now
exists in literally thousands of places is pretty much a fool's
errand.

   That said, would the list manager __really__ censor something -
even just once - based on no real evidence other than the OP's
description as to the the reason it's being asked to be removed? As a
devil's advocate maybe this has nothing to do with lawsuits at all and
it's just a business decision Muse or someone else is trying to take
action on? I assume Muse has competitors. Maybe they don't want them
to know what's going on business-wise. If the list manager looks at
the NDA as well as communications from Pace to Muse, etc., and decides
that he wants to delete something then that's his business. If we list
members don't like it (and ever find out about it!!) then we can fire
him. (j/k)

   Now, I think Michael Ost has been a good contributor here over the
years and if he were personally calling me on the phone and asking me
to remove it from me personal email archives I then I would almost
certainly raise my eye-brows, smile, tease him a bit, playfully try to
extract a little extortion (1 beer Michael?) and then just do it. I
think Michael might have both a large phone bill and bar bill this
next month or two... ;-)

Just my 2 cents,
Mark