[LAU] CENSORING public archives (Was: Problem post)

Josh Lawrence hardbop200 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 13:05:28 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> censoring" and it's never going to go away. I still have a copy here
> in GMail. I think redacting it from one list's archives when it now
> exists in literally thousands of places is pretty much a fool's
> errand.

good point, and has been made by others.

>   That said, would the list manager __really__ censor something -
> even just once - based on no real evidence other than the OP's
> description as to the the reason it's being asked to be removed? As a
> devil's advocate maybe this has nothing to do with lawsuits at all and
> it's just a business decision Muse or someone else is trying to take
> action on? I assume Muse has competitors. Maybe they don't want them

actually, I think it makes more sense to question Marc's motives.  he
says that his purpose was to publicly shame Pace.  yet, I do not find
Pace as a recipient to his original email.  Ico is there.  Michael and
Chris from Muse are there.  He even took the time to add LAU.  yet,
while lecturing Michael on how the Internet works, he couldn't be
bothered to find an email address for the very company that he was
railing against?

I think Marc's reasons are much simpler - he got pissed that he was
asked to do something that he didn't want to do, so he bitched to the
list and turned it into "OMG FREE SPEECH!" issue.

what he has done, however, is risk damaging the relationship that Muse
has with the overall community.  he has called attention to something
that most likely would have never have seen the light of day
otherwise, and embarrassed Michael and Chris (and Ico, by proxy).
this is one of those instances where a simple "no" would have
sufficed.

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com