[LAU] Solved ? CENSORING public archives

Josh Lawrence hardbop200 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 17:54:33 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Marc-Olivier Barre
<marco at marcochapeau.org> wrote:
> As interesting as those past years administering these list were, I
> certainly don't think it is an easy matter. With every kind of incidents we
> had in the past few years (there were others of different nature but no
> less disturbing) I have always dealt the same way. Make a big fat dirty
> post and say everything all aloud. Each time I got flamed by some people
> who seem to think this is easy. Each time I also received some support from
> others maybe more aware of what a system administrators role is. But each
> time there were no secrets.

Marc - I was one that was particularly critical of your first post.

my problem was *not* with your decision, however - your feelings on
censorship and how you choose to manage the list are your business,
not mine, and I realize that I have no dog in this fight.  my issue
was with *how* you did it, and I think if you read back over your
wording, you'll see why (I'll not quote your own words back to you).

you can take a stand on your principles without driving further
division between people.  while I'm sure there are those who will
disagree with me, I believe that *how* we say things is just as
important as *what* we say.  sometimes the Internet gives us this
feeling of being disconnected, that we can say whatever we want and it
simply doesn't matter.  I think that this brief 'spat' today shows us
that, on _both_ sides of the issue, how things are stated matters a
great deal.

you are doing a great service to the Linux audio community, and your
work is appreciated by me and others.

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com