[LAU] removing hiss from samples

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Wed Feb 3 04:02:54 EST 2010

Hi,

>>> While I'm sure those who know and use Ardour will tell you Ardour can do
>>> it (and how to do it) ...
>>>
>> Well, I am that "Ardour is best"-type and I must say: as of now Ardour
>> is not the app for removal of a continual noise like hiss. It can be
>> used for the removal of crackles and the like but not for hiss or hum.
>> As it is a pure realtime-app it is not designed for
>> offline-analysis/recalculation jobs.
>>
> Bummer, I'd have thought Ardour could do it. I've never thought of
> Ardour (or any DAW software) as a "pure realtime-app". But I don't know
> Ardour.

What comes to my mind (I only used it once though) is Gnome Wave
Cleaner: http://gwc.sourceforge.net/ already mentioned in the past on
this lits. It even has a gui!
http://gwc.sourceforge.net/

I thought that, although pretty old (last software update 2003?) and
aimed at something different (old LPs), I'd mention Gramofile which also
did some kind of noise (hiss, crackle etc.) reduction (no gui but quite
easy to use). I used it about 4/5 years ago and didn't seem bad (your
mileage may vary).
http://www.opensourcepartners.nl/~costar/gramofile/

Good luck,
Lorenzo.