[LAU] removing hiss from samples

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Wed Feb 3 18:43:59 EST 2010

On 02/02/2010 09:54 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On 02/02/2010 07:46 PM, Atte André Jensen wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm building a piano from the MIS samples, and there seems to be quite a
>> lot of hiss, esp in the pp samples.
>>
> I think there is a swh de-essser that you could use with ecasound to
> batch process all the files.

a "classic" de-esser won't help here - it is either a compressor with a
treble boost in the sidechain (simple design, will reduce overall volume
during the attack phase and leave the noise mostly alone) or an adaptive
hi-shelving filter (better, but will also do the inverse of what's
wanted: reduce loud treble content, and leave the softer noise alone).

you might want to try an expander with a treble boost in the sidechain
instead, or hack up some network of a hi-shelving filter whose cutoff is
driven by an envelope follower with treble boost...

but none of these approaches is going to get near the performance of a
multi-pass offline noise removal tool. i've tried gnome wave cleaner a
while ago, there are some settings that might work, but i thoroughly
disliked it for music - it's ok for speech intelligibility and to
resurrect historical material, but nothing for really ambitious music
production.