[LAU] gentoo pain

james morris james at jwm-art.net
Fri Feb 5 20:15:15 EST 2010

On 5/2/2010, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

>The pro-audio overlay is fine and running Gentoo as an audio platform
>has worked well for me for years. Yeah, Gentoo is work, but it's so
>stable that I would be hard pressed to give it up.

I think I started in the wrong way with it, trying to get everything
setup how I had it in Debian, rather than just trying things and seeing
what it gives me.

The initial setup was a bit of a nightmare, mostly because I kept
forgetting things about my system, and so much going wrong with various
other linux installs not booting... chrooted into one of them just to
re-install it's grub, mass confusion over kernel modules combined ahci
bios settings, etc...

>I do not understand your comment about 2.6.16. That would be ancient
>but I don't see it. Build 2.6.31.12-r20.

As I've got a custom kernel (from kernel.org && rt patched) setup I've
not investigated this any further. Maybe it's a mask, possibly ~amd64?
But that was what it gave me.