[LAU] OT: talent and craftsmanship [was: Re: OT: Dub Fx]

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Fri Feb 12 07:14:51 EST 2010

Hi,
>> And even though a lot of comments mention that this guy has talent I oppose to
>> that. This is a good example of craftsmanship, not talent.

Without entering the debate about the posted video (I guess everyone
have their own tastes in music) I would like to object to an underlying
concept expressed here that 'talent' is in contrast with 'craftsmanship'
which recalls certain commonplace ideas where there is on the one side
talent, 'artistic genius' and similer and on the other hand 'daily
work', craft. I think there are many examples of artists who were/are
great craftsmen without that implying they had no talent or that they
weren't even geniuses. A good craftsman can be a real genius: an example
which comes straight to my mind is Bach :)

Bests,
Lorenzo