[LAU] OT: talent and craftsmanship [was: Re: OT: Dub Fx]

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Fri Feb 12 07:34:47 EST 2010

Jeremy wrote:
> ... I didn't say talent and craftmanship oppose each
> other. I wanted to make clear that craftsmanship is something different
> than talent because it's also a commonplace idea to confuse
> craftsmanship with talent.

Since we're talking here, we might as well check whether we know what
we're talking about:

Googling 'define: talent' yields this fair definition:

    a person who possesses unusual innate ability in some field or activity

Googling for 'define: craftsmanship' got these:

    Aptitude, skill, or manual dexterity in the use of tools or
material. Taking time to make sure a project is done well.

    work done with skill and dexterity

    The quality of being a craftsman; An example of a craftsman's work

And for craftsman we have:

    craftsman - a professional whose work is consistently of high
quality; "as an actor he was a consummate craftsman"
    craftsman - a creator of great skill in the manual arts; "the
jewelry was made by internationally famous craftsmen"
    craftsman - a skilled worker who practices some trade or handicraft

So things seem to settle somewhere between ability (talent) and practice
(craft). Perhaps it can be said that the performer has a talent for his
craft ?

Anyway, thank goodness we're not talking about music theory. :)

Best,

dp