[LAU] OT: talent and craftsmanship [was: Re: OT: Dub Fx]

Renato rennabh at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 20:57:51 EST 2010

> Do you agree that most popular programs here on LAU are better suited
> for sound engineers than for musicians?

[verbose mode on - this is (OT)^2]
No. I think the linux audio programs are very well thought, and one can
use them as a functional tool to do many things. It does require
study of course, as *any* form of art does.
IMHO we got too used to those bulky windows programs that try
to make it simple for the user to produce funky noises and beats; to me
that kind of thing is more a game than a tool. Nothing wrong with it, I
like games, but thanks god art is just so much more than a game - it's
lifelong study and research.

My jazz teacher says me that it takes about 20 years for one to study
enough jazz to be able to play "without thinking" and saying something
truly personal (i.e. original) with your notes. I think most jazz
players would agree with this. I also think it is roughly the same for
other arts.

The process of transmutation one overgoes in these 20 years can be
wonderful and rewarding.

So if one likes to just make phat noizes with his computer, linux might
not be the simplest and quickest option; if instead you really want to
learn something about computers and sound and use it in your music, I
think linux is the ideal environment, with lots of possibilities to
research and many well-thought programs written by well-thinking people
(who don't care about selling their program, which for me is a
guarantee)

About Dub Fx, I see he's very passionate in what he does and he
definitely has done his homework.

Renato