[LAU] 1980's cds: analog to digital conversion

Sean Bolton musound at jps.net
Sat Feb 13 12:39:15 EST 2010

On Feb 12, 2010, at 11:35 PM, Aaron L. wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Monty Montgomery
> <xiphmont at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've noticed that I do indeed have some aversion to the cd-
> version of
> > records I otherwise liked on another format (i.e. vinyl or
> cassette.)
> >
> > So why are there cds that I think actually do sound good?
> >
> > How has this process changed?
>
> The most common reason is that because vinyl records don't have a flat
> response, vinyl has a preempahsis applied to the HF.  Sometimes the
> preemphasis was applied during cutting, sometimes it was applied to
> the tape master before cutting.  When early CDs were pressed, they
> were often pressed from the vinyl masters and if the preemphasis was
> on the master, boom, harsh gritty super-over-bright CD.
>
> Monty
>
> Your description is right on.

'Piece of Mind' on CD still sounds good to me -- sweet guitars, crisp
drums, very simple and uncluttered mix.  It's not like the over-
distorted, over-processed, and over-compressed crap that too often
makes it to CD these days.  (n.b. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Loudness_war)

I want my dynamic range back!

-Sean