[LAU] 1980's cds: analog to digital conversion

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Mon Feb 15 02:30:48 EST 2010

Quoting Ricardus Vincente <wizardofgosz at gmail.com>:

> On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 20:28 +0100, Peder Hedlund wrote:
>
>> To some degree I think it has to do with comparison. For that time it
>> might have been state of the art mixing/mastering, but now we're used
>> to a different type of sounds so the old mixes sounds flat in
>> comparison. It might also be nostalgia.
>
>   Old mixes sound flat?  What do you man?  I think old mixes have tons
> of depth.

Perhaps I should have added a 'might', as in 'the old mixes might sound flat'

>> It'd be interresting if you managed to get hold of an/the old cassette
>> and do an A-B comparison.
>
>  Comparing what, to what?

To compare the cassette mix that he remembered so fondly to the CD mix
he found lacking. I have a hunch it might be entirely possible that
the sound he remembers from tape is just nostalgia and that the CD in
fact sounds more or less the same as the cassette.