[LAU] SMPTE timecode?

Florian Faber faber at faberman.de
Wed Feb 17 17:48:57 EST 2010

Rick,

> I'll be soing a field recording next week for a DVD music production.  Is
> it possible to record an SMPTE timecode on a spare track?  I've found some
> references on the web to something called LTC, which apparently is SMPTE
> encoded thru an audio codec.

Yes, it is an audio signal, and you can easily record it as such. With a
little training, you can even read it directly :)

You need the timecode only once to find your reference point. What's
more important is to sync your word clock to the video timing. There are
a number of devices out there that allow you to generate a Wordclock out
of a Video Sync signal or the LTC.

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key DA43FEF4          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net