[LAU] Fractally fuzzy music?

James Morris james at jwm-art.net
Wed Feb 24 05:03:22 EST 2010

On Wed, February 24, 2010 03:19, david wrote:
> I've thought about a "music" in which notes might have "fractal
> fuzziness" to them - for example, what looks like a quarter note is
> really 8 simultaneous (or non-simultaneous) 32nd notes, each having a
> frequency that is some fractally-derived distance from the base quarter
> note's frequency, and perhaps their timing/duration could also be
> fractally derived ... I don't suppose someone knows of such a thing
> already being done?

I know of a program called "Wav Composer Not Toilet" (which won't compile
these days) which generates audio files, and it has an "orbit" module
which uses the threeply/hopalong/quadrup fractals bounded within -1.0 and
1.0.

One of the examples built by it, the tones of the sounds are fractally
modulated, and actually the tones themselves and their timings are
fractally modulated, but not quite in the way you suggest.

the example is here, and i've been told it's a bit scary:
http://jwm-art.net/art/audio/price_crash.mp3

i'm guessing PD/Chuck/Csound/alsamodular/spiralsound/etc could do
something along the same lines in realtime.

james.