[LAU] more than 4 channels for listening? Really?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Feb 25 17:01:33 EST 2010

Hi,

On Thursday 25 February 2010 22:21:50 Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:
> Thanks. I've been looking into ambisonics and that's actually what i was
> thinking of in this 4 channel set up. It sounds difficult to set up and
> will take a lot of learning.
>
> It sounds like i'd do fine with 4 channels in a small space even when
>  playing back hollywood surround sound material.

I am currently in the process of building an eight-channel ambisonics setup in
my home-office. Size is about 3x3x2.5 meters.

With the currently finished 4 channels the surround is good. But it still has
problems with imaging the sources. Originally I was thinking about six
channels in the plane and two over-head to have a half-sphere. But I will
definitely try eight-channels in the plane before. I think it will sound better
then six channels...

So if you want anything more then 2D, you have to get more then four channels.
As a bonus this will also sound better with the 5.1 and 7.1 movies:-)

Have fun,

Arnold