[LAU] more than 4 channels for listening? Really?

Monty Montgomery xiphmont at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 05:41:19 EST 2010

Forgive me, I'm a newb to practical Ambisonics myself (just starting
to play with it, had mostly been just familiar with the theory in the
past)...

> Nothing magical will happen if you pan the 5.0 signals into
> a 3rd or higher order AMB system. The results is just five
> virtual speakers reproducing 5.0.

Do you really mean third order ambisonics, or do you mean
three-channel first-order ambisonics?  I had been under the impression
that it was unusual to run across actual high-er order
recordings/playback systems and that most of the installed base was
first order.

Cheers,
Monty