[LAU] ambiophonics vs. ambisonics?

Bearcat M. Sandor hometheater at feline-soul.com
Sat Feb 27 13:25:14 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 08:42 -0700, Martin Leese wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 22:42 -0700, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:
> > Am i correct in my
> > understanding, that nothing can be utilized by ambisonic processing
> > during playback if the source material is only stereo?
>
> Nope.  Domestic Ambisonic decoders have a
> Super Stereo mode for "decoding" stereo
> sources.  They also include a stereo width
> control which allows the stereo image to be
> compressed to mono-like or expanded into a
> horseshoe around the listener.

Wow. That looks really cool. I've only heard an ambiophonic system and
was impressed.

If Super Stereo can recreate the sound that the mics originally heard,
what does ambiophonics do that ambisonics can't?

Does ambisonics cancel cross talk as well (like ambiophonics does)?

I'm assuming also that Super Stereo is not anything like the crappy DSP
modes that one found in cheap AC3 converters about 10 years back,
particularly on Sony equipment (Hall, Arena, Church) where bad reverb
was just added artificially, right?

I have read this 3 times to make sure i didn't mess up or cross the
spelling of ambiophonics or ambisonics (ambiosonics? ambiphonics?
Aminosonic acids?), but i probably did anyhow :")

Thanks,

Bearcat