[LAU] more than 4 channels for listening? Really?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Sun Feb 28 06:19:13 EST 2010

On 02/26/2010 05:20 AM, Ken Restivo wrote:

> Way off-topic, but in 1992 Frank Zappa with Ensemble Moderne
> delivered a series of concerts in some of the finest concert halls in
> Europe, mixed live in 6-channel surround. I cannot imagine what that
> would have sounded like, other than incredible.

as much as i love the yellow shark music and fz in general, i think
their approach to surround was a little hare-brained...
iirc, they had a "hoop" of six microphones which could be put over a
musician to feature him/her as a soloist, and each of the mikes would be
panned to a speaker tower. the rest of the music was panned pair-wise.

> Zappa was a huge audio engineering nerd.

he was, but he could have used an ambisonics guru - i wonder how he and
MAG would have hit it off... :-]

i got to know the stage manager that did the yellow shark tour a couple
of weeks ago, let's see if i can reach him and get some more details...

best,

jörn