[LAU] ambiophonics vs. ambisonics?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Sun Feb 28 06:28:48 EST 2010

On 02/26/2010 06:42 AM, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:

> It's ambiophonics that i'm interested in. Am i correct in my
> understanding, that nothing can be utilized by ambisonic processing
> during playback if the source material is only stereo?

i don't understand.
if you mean "can i blow up a stereo signal to use my four speakers", the
answer is yes.
if the question is "can i blow up a normal stereo signal to use my four
speakers so that the result makes sense", the answer is a cautious
"probably not". but the same applies to ambiophonics. if there is no
surround information, you can't expect good results.

there are a few stereo recordings done in UHJ format (most by small UK
classical label nimbus) that do indeed contain ambisonic content that
can be decoded to 4 speakers with great results, but they are rare.
nimbus is still in business, though, and they maintain their back catague.
i can mail you a track or two off-list if you're interested.

another interesting approach might be "super-stereo", a feature which
some old hardware ambisonics decoders contained to make stereo sound
more spectacular over 4 speakers. but i have never tried it - if you're
interested, i can wade through my archive for the decoding matrix.

and there's an excellent MAG article about using 4 speakers for better
stereo replay here:
http://www.audiosignal.co.uk/Resources/Surround_sound_from_2-channel_stereo_A4.pdf
nothing to do with ambisonic decoding, though.

best,

jörn