[LAU] XG Sound Generator Alternatives

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Sun Feb 28 06:48:14 EST 2010

On 02/27/2010 10:17 PM, David Baron wrote:
> I would love to upgrade my old PIII clunker. Apparently, all the better
> motherboards lack ISA slots nowadays.
> My problem is my old Yamaha sw60xg sound card. This is a rusty, trusty MIDI
> sound generator with audio DSP (no audio interface to the computer). It can be
> made to work on anything using mpu401, no IRQ, no DMA, no problems. Can be
> controlled using the old XGedit run with WINE. Decent sounds and I have many
> mixes based on this.

why not get a cheap quad-core system for general use, with a
contemporary audio/midi interface, and keep the old dinosaur around just
for your mixes that include the yamaha card? you can interface both with
midi, and pipe the audio from the old box into the new one via an analog in.

i'm sure there are cutting-edge boards with isa slots for industry
applications, but they usually come with hefty price tags. certainly not
worth it just for an antediluvian audio interface.