[LAU] Quipping at people's equipment choices (was more than 4 channels for listening? Really?)

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Sun Feb 28 15:01:50 EST 2010

Gwenhwyfaer <gwenhwyfaer at gmail.com>

> On 26/02/2010, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>> Don't know about speakers, but I'm using a couple lengths of regular
>> electric power cord to connect my amp and speakers. ;-)
>
> Didn't someone once do some tests and conclude that the absolute
> zenith of amp/speaker cabling performance could be found in automobile
> jump leads?

More seriously, the general advice is to use
12 AWG power cord.  Anything thinner and the
resistance starts to increase.  Anything thicker
and the self inductance starts to increase.

This assumes you do not wish to use speaker
cables as a very expensive tone control.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org