[LAU] A belated christmas song

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 17:17:48 EST 2010

On 1/3/10, Ricardus Vincente <wizardofgosz at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 11:13 -0800, Ken Restivo wrote:

>  Was that in The Real Frank Zappa Book?
>
>  I have to find my copy of that, because he had a REALLY GOOD rant
> against people who think they like music.... as long as it sounds just
> like every other song that goes BOOM... CHUCK... BOOM... CHUCK.
>
>  I have been wanting to quote that for years.

Do you mean this?

<quote>
So, if music is the best, what is music? Anything can be music, but it
doesn't become music until someone wills it to be music, and the
audience listening to it decides to perceive it as music.

Most people can't deal with that abstraction -- or don't want to. They
say: "Gimme the tune. Do I like this tune? Does it sound like another
tune that I like? The more familiar it is, the better I like it. Hear
those three notes there? Those are the three notes I can sing along
with. I like those notes very, very much. Give me a beat. Not a fancy
one. Give me a GOOD BEAT -- something I can dance to. It has to go
boom-bap, boom-boom-BAP. If it doesn't, I will hate it very, very
much. Also, I want it right away -- and then, write me some more songs
like that -- over and over and over again, because I'm really into
music."
</quote>

Andras