[LAU] tips for beginners

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Tue Jan 5 14:04:24 EST 2010

Hi david,

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, David Adler wrote:

>> Just so I covered all bases, I rebooted into windows and actually made sure the 2496 produces sound (no false connections etc.). Strangest thing, I can route xmms to ardour2 and see the signals coming in (leds bouncing), but actual sound coming out of the 2496 alludes me.
>>
>> I fear this is something simple but it could very well be forest through the trees scenario.
>>

> A bit further down the hierarchy:
> Is everything unmuted in alsamixer?
> type alsamixer -c 1 (according to your /proc/asound/cards the
> 2496 is the 2nd entry, numbered 1), unmute all channels (typing 'm')
> and pull up the volume faders.

MIXER: You need to make sure that you have the
'envy24control' GUI mixer.  This is the most effective way
to control your card.  It is usually installed with a
package called something like 'alsa-tools-gui'.

JACK: In qjackctl it set it up to use hw:1 with Duplex.

Using ENVY24CONTROL:

Make sure the levels are up: Go to the tab "Analog Volume"
and turn everything up all the way.

Make sure it's routed right: Go to the tab that says "Patch
Bay/Router" and select "Digital Mix L" and "Digital Mix R"
for H/W Outs 1 and 2.

Turn on Outs 1 and 2 in your monitor:  Go to the tab that
says "Monitor PCMs" and un-click the "L/R Gang" for Out 1
and Out 2.  Now, un-mute the Left for Out 1... and un-mute
the Right for Out 2.  Turn the volumes all the way up on Out
1 and Out 2.[1]

Hope this helps:
Gabriel

[1] This may be a redundant step, not sure.