[LAU] Can the GigEdit do this?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 14:51:16 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Julien Claassen <julien at c-lab.de> wrote:
> Hello Mark!
>  Well this .gig-file was already prepared to take on the sample set, that's
> coming in. It was just constructed thusly:
> Get the complete folder of samples (.wav) and include files for other
> samplers, which do it directly.
>  Offer another package with a mini .gig-file, with placeholder samples, as
> far as I could make out and tell the user to build in the real samples,
> which are organised and named as they are in the .gig-file.
>  But it's good to know, that it should work. I'm just setting up everything
> for ssh-ing and GUI-ing in. :-)
>  Kindest regards
>          Julien

It sounds like you should be in pretty good shape.

On the other hand if you run into any problems you are going to
understand very quickly why you'd rather buy gig files than build them
yourself... ;-) (i.e. - dealing with problems in these files isn't
fun.)

Don't forget to do serious testing once you put it all together, most
especially testing against velocity if you're doing that. When I did
this I set up predefined MIDI files I was playing in Rosegarden to
check that each and every note sounded good. If you use any form of
mixing between samples - where two samples get played and relatively
mixed based on how much they are supposed to contribute to the final
sound - then get ready for serious time sink...

If your task is simple then I expect that you'll be OK. You're a smart
guy with a lot of these tools. It's just that dealing with 1000 wave
files in a single gig file can get very tedious.

Cheers,
Mark