[LAU] Presentation

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jan 9 05:25:30 EST 2010

I've been on the list awhile. Played professionally for 2 years a few
too many decades ago. Used to write songs back then, too. Now play in my
church band (contemporary Christian rock, some reggae). Getting back to
writing songs and composing for my own enjoyment.

Instruments played (in chronological order): piano, organ, guitar, bass
guitar, synthesizers, harmonica, and recorder. In the past, I've been
known to sort of sing (I've been told I sound just like Jimmy Buffet on
"Margaritaville", and I used to be able to sing old Neil Young songs
like "On The Way Home" but I can't hit that high a pitch anymore) but I
have no vocal training and generally don't sing.

Personal music likes: every musical genre except most modern jazz
(sacrilege!) and rap. When my music collection is playing on shuffle
mode, it's been known to play a performance of Pachelbel's Canon in D on
original baroque instruments followed by Scottish punk music or
Rasputina or Ars Nova ... I sometimes get weird looks from coworkers
because of that!

Learned much about Linux as a music platform on the list, enjoy the wide
variety of Linux audio software available, like listening to the many
songs list members produce.

Currently slowly working on turning an old laptop into a Linux-based
synthesizer/effects box to add to the live mix in the church band, and
use for my own recordings. It's been fun!

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community