[LAU] M-Audio FastTrack Pro in 24-bit 48Khz, anyone had any luck?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sun Jan 10 05:51:19 EST 2010

OK well I just applied the patch I needed directly to the ALSA that was in the source tree, bumped my --append-to-version, and recompiled the whole kernel. Not too tedious on a 64-bit machine using -j2. Took slightly less time than compiling Ardour ;-)

It is this patch that I am trying to get working:
https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=3249

And the version that applied cleanly to my kernel version (2.6.26.8-rt12) was the one called "fasttrackpro.patch", which was apparently intended for 2.6.27. Good enough.

48Khz now works for playback and capture, yay. But not in 24-bit mode; only in 16bit mode.

This is using 0x9 or 0xd as device_setup paramters; either way, I get only 48/16, not 48/24. I don't get the digital inputs even if I try, but that's OK, I don't need them anyway.

Why am I even bothering to do any of this? Because Lahar is going into the studio. A friend will record our basic tracks using his ProTools setup (alas, Digidesign Firewire interfaces won't ever work with Linux, so we're stuck with ProTools on a Mac). He tracks at 48Khz, so I needed to bump my FastTrack up to 48Khz so that I can use Ardour to mix it. So far so good. Yes, this means a mixed-with-Linux CD is coming soon.

Lack of 24-bit is neither tragic nor fatal-- it's all 32-bit floats inside JACK, and it'll get mastered either with JAMIN at 32 bits, or via a professional shop at 24 bits--, but it'd sure be nice to have those extra bits from the input of the FastTrack for recording overdubs if needed.

-ken