[LAU] Balancing volume between smooth and popping bass

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Tue Jan 12 16:29:01 EST 2010

All,

  I'm looking for a way to balance the sound between regular playing
and pop/push type of playing on a accoustic bass guitar.  The guitar is
both miked (M-Audio pulsar) and has a balanced line-in for the embedded
pick-up (of not very good quality as it lacks picking up the high
notes).  That's two stereo tracks in Ardour as I feed both mono signal
in the right and left of each track.  Maybe I shouldn't do that.

  In any case, the push/pop notes are blasting when compared to
regular playing.  A bit of blasting is OK, but there's too much
contrast now.

  Is there a receipe in recording techniques that addresses that kind
of configuration and enables control over the loudness difference
from a sinle intrument in a single take ?

  Any ideas/suggestions appreciated,

Cheers.