[LAU] Sanity check needed: Fons's Auto Wah on 64-bit system and CPU usage?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Jan 14 04:39:56 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 05:38:04PM -0800, Ken Restivo wrote:

> It doesn't run away to 99% CPU (or 50% on a Core2Duo),
> like it would if there were a denormal. But still, why
> is it using up CPU when there's no signal?

That's not as odd as it seems: there is *always* a signal,
even if that signal happens to be silence, and while the
actual processing parameters depend on signal level, the
algorithm itself is always the same. It could be optimised
for 'silence' by removing the per-sample interpolation of
the filter parameters when those are static, but I don't
think that would be worth the effort.

That said, 6% seems too much.

Ciao,

--