[LAU] Bye, bye february :-)

frank pirrone frankpirrone at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 00:45:12 EST 2010

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> frank pirrone wrote:
>> Atte André Jensen wrote:
>>> frank pirrone wrote:
>>> <snip> Who's in the team this year and what are your plans?
>>>
>> So far
> <snip folks>
>
> Nice round-up!
It's a great bunch of guys - no women have applied as of yet - and
excellent musicians.

>> Of course, the "mission" of Packet-In is all composition, performance,
>> and recording done in Linux with F/OSS tools.
>
> That might leave me out, since my favorite weapon these days is
> renoise, closed source linux app :-( I could of course leave my pet
> alone just this month and use the other fantastic tools available, but
> there's still so much for me to explore in renoise that I'd love to
> dig deeper.
Well, I may have misstated the actual "working rules."  The original
gathering in 2008 committed to Linux, so Open Source as a requirement
may not be in effect this time around.

>> What were you planning to do?
>
> Instrumental electronica. I've yet to explore the "real" electronica
> that doesn't have a melody, but works with moods and variations. Also
> I'll try to keep (some) things more agressive than I normally do.
That's sounds like a worthy objective.  It's not a working genre for me
(I believe my heart lies most solidly within modal jamming), but I loved
my Arp Odyssey when I'd just fire up sample and hold and mess with the
envelope and the LFO, and let it do its thing while I attempted to layer
on some coherent, scratch that and leave it at colorful, guitar work.

In any event, as Drew notes, you don't need to commit to help us
Packet-In.  If you've got time and brain-space, check out the tracks as
they are uploaded and if anything catches your fancy, contribute
something and we'll add you to the attribution file (all our work's been
CC by SA).  Likewise feel free to play with a mix-down and offer it up
for consideration - that was something where we really missed Peter last
year, with him having done such a great job bringing our work alive in 2008.

In any, any, event, have a great time with the challenge.

Frank