[LAU] [Packet-in-user] Bye, bye february :-)

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Fri Jan 15 12:28:47 EST 2010

On 15 January 2010 at 0:45, frank pirrone <frankpirrone at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's a great bunch of guys - no women have applied as of yet - and
> excellent musicians.

It would be nice to have mixed gender in the band.  But, at least we
have people from many different places on the globe.  Even then, it
would be nice to get some participation from Asia or the Southern
hemisphere.

> Well, I may have misstated the actual "working rules."  The original
> gathering in 2008 committed to Linux, so Open Source as a requirement
> may not be in effect this time around.

My vote would be that we continue using open source software and
publish the music as "CC by SA".

[snip comments on musical style]

I think the band has been open to all styles.  It turns out to be a
blend in the end as we all bring our own contributions to the end
product.

> In any event, as Drew notes, you don't need to commit to help us
> Packet-In.  If you've got time and brain-space, check out the tracks as
> they are uploaded and if anything catches your fancy, contribute
> something and we'll add you to the attribution file (all our work's been
> CC by SA).  Likewise feel free to play with a mix-down and offer it up
> for consideration - that was something where we really missed Peter last
> year, with him having done such a great job bringing our work alive in 2008.

Agreed.  Even just listening to something and making comments would
be welcomed by me, and I'd suspect the rest of the band would
appreciate that too.  But, I can only really speak for myself.

> In any, any, event, have a great time with the challenge.

I participated in the first place as an exercise to demonstrate the
power of F/OSS programs to do this work, and to explore how to
collaborate musically in a virtual environment.  This was really fun
for me.

Cheerio....

--
Kevin