[LAU] yoshimi creeps... 0.051

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Sat Jan 16 08:43:36 EST 2010

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 13:34:45 +0100
rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:

> Folderol wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 13:07:23 +0100
> > rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yoshimi is not usable for me as an instrument because of the many xruns.
> >>

> >> \r
> >>

> > I'm astonished that you have this problem. I have found it to be far
> > less prone to these than the zyn 2.4 source.
> >
> What is less prone? Having regular xruns but less then it was before? Do
> you get xruns? More when using certain instruments? Or playing chords?

With yoshimi I get no xruns at all while playing 3-4 note chords with
the left hand plus a melody line with the right hand. This is true even
with my most complex patches. With the most recent versions, I only see
xruns while changing instrument patch at the same time as actually
playing notes (which is a pretty daft thing to do).

> Especially when I switch instruments and play chords, is quite simple
> sometimes to reach to 1000 xruns in a few minuts... I think for an
> instrument you should have almost none xruns in an hour and strive to
> get none...
> > What is your setup?
> >

> Debian testing, Jack2, RT kernel :
> Linux debian 2.6.31.6-rt19-1-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Nov 12 13:22:20
> UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

This is far more recent that what I'm working with (2.6.29) - I know
there have been problems with some rt kernels but I don't know which
ones. Also I tend to work with targeted music distros, such as 64studio,
where some extra optimisations are done.

> @audio - rtprio 99
> @audio - memlock unlimited

This looks normal, but I don't see a 'nice' setting. Mine is -10

> I'm using an maudio keystation usb midi keyboard

I don't know this particular keyboard but I have heard that some USB
ones have problems. I think this actually a mobo problem where there
are shared interrupts, but I'm far from certain about that.

> I think I have a pretty proper configured system... No problems with
> other apps.

Are the other apps synths or sample players? and do you drive them
directly from the keyboard?

P.S.
Just done some test and I can create xruns if I use my most processor
intensive patches 'hyper matrix' and 'master synth low', but to do
this I have to play quite fast fully chorded, which is really not what
these patches are intended for. Both of these are four instrument voice
'kits' with long release times and significant extra effects.

Are you running similar heavy-duty voices?

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk