[LAU] Good, efficient compressor in LADSPA and/or SLV2?

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Sun Jan 17 10:13:59 EST 2010

I'd second, or is it third by now, the SC4. Not that I'm in any way
particularly experienced with compressors or compression, but I find the
visual feedback on the amount of gain reduction to be useful.

Compress by all means, but crush, no. If there is little or no dynamic
range in the mix, the mastering engineer has nothing to work with and by
the time broadcast engineers have slapped all their processing on things
it will sound loud but weak. As Bob Katz says, it's not how loud you
make it, it's how you make it loud. Lots of little bits of compression
will sound better than slamming everything hard to try and get the mix
to compare with a mastered and broadcast piece.

Personally I don't have an issue with compression, it's an important
tool for certain things, like getting a nice fluid, sustaining guitar
solo sound, or evening out a bass part so that doesn't disappear from
the bottom of a busy mix, getting toms to boom and so on. Although that
is all from a rock perspective.

But yes, I find the OVER-compression, heavily brickwall limited, "what
this music REALLY needs is to be a square wave!" approach incredibly
tiring on the ears.

Of course, there are ways and means of compressing things without
damaging the transients and the subtleties of attacks.

PS In the time it's taken to write this I'm now on to fourthing the SC4
and I've been beaten to the call about broadcast processing!