[LAU] delta 1010 background hiss

David Santamauro david.santamauro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 08:46:31 EST 2010

Hello all...

after getting a test machine (32 bit / fedora core rt kernel from
planet ccrma) up and running with my delta 2496 configured correctly
(with your help) and recording. I decided to take the plunge and setup
my larger server which was dedicated to ms windows audio. This is a
64-bit machine with 2x-quad cores and 8GB of main memory. In it
is also my main interface, the delta 1010.

I setup a dual-boot with the exact same configuration that I did on my
test machine. Everything is functioning as on the test machine with one
notable difference: The delta 1010 has ~-30db of constant background
noise. This background noise doesn't exist in the windows boot. I
thought it might be my older mixer (from which 8 direct outs go into
the delta 1010, but after turning the mixer off and unplugging
everything (i.e., no inputs to the delta 1010), there is _still_ this
hiss.

I would like to attribute it to system noise but then why don't I hear
this when I boot into windows?

I'm basically at a loss here. I have jack running, routes to and fro
software/hardware appear to be entirely correct (I can record and play
and monitor).

Just to conclude, I have the minimal going: qjackctl up and running,
jackd started and the envy24control mixer up and the mixer shows this
hiss.

Any help here would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

David