[LAU] Questions on New Recording Gear

Scott Ecker lau at troutpocket.org
Mon Jan 18 12:23:24 EST 2010

Ectropic Harmony wrote:
> I've recently started adding new gear to my studio, which isn't much...
>
> Here's the list...
>
> Instruments:
> Acoustic & electric guitars
> Bass guitar
> Electronic drumset (a very nice Roland, MIDI but also has direct
> outs/main outs (1/4" TRS))
> USB/MIDI keyboard (M-Audio Axiom 49)
> Various other instruments, percussion, winds, strings
>
> Misc. gear:
> Amps (combos, i.e. Marshall, TubeWorks)
> Power amp (not currently using this, it's a 4 channel PA)
>
> Recording gear:
> 4 mics (AT2020s)
> Mixer (Mackie 1642-VLZ3, 16 channel 4 bus analog mixer)
> Digital audio interface (M-Audio Delta 1010)
> Computer (64-bit quad core 2.6GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 3TB space; running
> Ubuntu Studio 9.10)
>
> The new equipment is the recording gear - specifically the Mackie
> mixer, the Delta 1010 audio interface, and the mics.

This isn't too unlike my setup, except that I have an acoustic drum
kit.  The keys to successful acoustic recording (IMO):

1. Good microphones.
2. Good cables.
3. Good mixer.
4. Good room.

The rest of it comes down to mic placement, and the quality of the
musicians themselves.  The difference between the cheap and modestly
priced components above will manifest itself in hiss and line noise.
Every step in the chain must be good (or better) quality to get a smooth
recording.

My setup is tubes and acoustics all the way to my DAW.  Ardour is
amazing and does everything I need to record 12+ tracks simultaneously.

-Scott