[LAU] Does my audio card have a hardware MIDI synthesizer?

Robert Jonsson spamatica at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 08:03:20 EST 2010

Hi Cedric,

2010/1/20 Cedric Roux <sed at free.fr>:
>> You generally won't need one anyways.. You probably just need to load
>> the kernel module snd-seq
>> and make sure that it is loaded at startup.
>
> What do you mean? I want my program to play some audio,
> so I need a synthesizer. I wondered if my card had one.
> It seems that no.

These days very few people use the synthesizer of the soundcard. There
are virtually no modern soundcards usable in Linux which have an
internal synthesizer. (mostly I think the same is valid for other
OSes)

These days most people use a software based synthesizer, e.g.
Fluidsynth or Timidity for basic playback. If you want a pro solution
they may be too limited.

I suppose you want to playback sound from a sequencer or midi player.
Just startup the software synthesizer make sure it is routed to the
soundcard, connect it to the player and you should get sound.

/Robert