[LAU] oh yoshimi, one more time

cal cal at graggrag.com
Wed Jan 20 12:12:51 EST 2010

Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> [ ... ]
> I just tried 0.053-pre3 very briefly and found one bug.
> On the bottom of the main window there's a meter and next to it the
> value in dB. It seems that the channels are at least turned around, so
> when it goes into clipping on one channel the meter on the other channel
> is somewhere near where 0dB probably is (which is also not very clear to
> me..).
> I found this with a patch that produces quite different levels on both
> channels, 'Choir and Voice' -> 'Vocal Morph *'
>
> I don't understand that meter, I guess the blue bar is peak, the yellow
> one rms, but I don't know whether 0dB is at the right end of the meter
> or at the thicker line before it. I also don't know whether the numbers
> correspond to rms or peak.

To be honest, I don't understand the meter all that well either. Last time
I messed with it, I stuffed it completely so very quickly put it back the
way it was. The bluish bar is a calculated "dB", and the yellow line is rms.

>From a quick look at the code and watching Vocal Morph in action, I suspect
you might be right - it does appear the peak indicators might be transposed.
But then it's 4am and I can't sleep, so now's not the time for me to be
messing with code (even "simple" code).

> Well, just thought I let you know :)
> Yoshi is already quite different from zyn imho, and not worse, despite
> the one or the other quirk. And most importantly: it's worked on, so it
> has potential for improvement.

Appreciated. It is a strange beast, invoking strange relationships.

Cheers.