[LAU] delta 1010 background hiss

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 24 15:51:01 EST 2010

Arnold Krille wrote:
> On Sunday 24 January 2010 18:26:13 Martin Peach wrote:
>> So I took the card out and now it's running in a WinXP box with no
>> issues. So it's definitely not the capacitors. I think the sound of dead
>> capacitors would be more like AC hum.
>
> Dead capacitors are not causing AC hum, they are causing high-frequency hiss
> because the high frequencies of the switching powersupply in your machine
> isn't filtered any more. (One of the problems I am facing here with my diy amp
> using an old PC PSU while trying to not use capacitors for filtering.)

Well it depends. High frequency noise is usually filtered using
small-valued caps because electrolytics are just no good at high
frequencies. But yes, there should be no AC hum from a PC PSU, just a
mess of high-frequency spikes. But it should have _some_ harmonic
content, not just white noise. Usually sounds like a noisy whine.

Martin