[LAU] Questions on New Recording Gear

Ectropic Harmony ectropic.harmony at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 23:46:12 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 5:49 PM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:22:24AM -0600, Ectropic Harmony wrote:
>
>> I haven't had a chance to test the entire set-up of multiple
>> connections just yet (see message below for what I'm thinking about
>> trying, I don't know if it'll work) but I have managed to get a basic
>> recording going with mics into mixer into delta interface into
>> computer.
>>
>> One issue right now -
>>
>> Levels.
>>
>> Really low levels.
>>
>> I've adjusted the levels on the mixer, in the envy24 control, and in
>> Ardour... and it's like I have to max things out just to get a decent
>> volume.
>>
>> What's the trick getting rock solid levels during recording and
>> playback both without having to max things out? :-\

I have AT2020s:
http://www.microphonereviews.com/product-reviews/microphones/audio-technica-at2020.html

And a Mackie 1642-VLZ3:
http://www.mackie.com/products/1642vlz3/

(Also an M-Audio Delta 1010 interface for the computer)

I'm not sure if, from that, I can determine whether or not I need a
separate mic preamps type device.

Any ideas?

Hopefully it's just a matter of me incorrectly setting levels. :-\ But
if I need a preamp device I'll definitely get one.