[LAU] Questions on New Recording Gear

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Tue Jan 26 16:02:58 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 09:33:36PM +0100, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:33:22PM -0600, Ectropic Harmony wrote:
>
> > > There's nothing wrong with turning them up as high as necessary.
> >
> > This is good to hear. I have only hesitated to turn the "gains" up any
> > higher because of fear of "overpowering" their levels.
>
> ??
[...]
> > Maybe I should crank my mixer "gains" even higher (currently ~35 or
> > ~40 out of 60 on gain levels). :-\ The level meter thing is only
> > showing 30 or 20 (not going up to "0"/"Level Set").
>
> Then turn up the gains, nothing is going to explode.

Just to underline that, gain controls are usually pots
that *attentuate* the signal. The top setting (danger!
ohnoes!) is just letting the signal through with no
attenuation.

Here is ASCII art of a variable resistor (pot). You can
see the wiper that varies the resistance.

        ___
       |   |
-------+mwmwmwmw------

> Ciao,