[LAU] Ascension: Music made in Linux

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Jan 28 06:17:05 EST 2010

Hi,

I had some fun with alsamodularsynth over the weekend and managed to get
about 10 hours of recordings into ardour. I have now got about 10
complete tracks and probably 20 more if I edit, cut, and mix. Before I
do the latter I am going to clean up the 10 tracks that I feel don't
require editing. Before I do that though I am interested to hear what
people who have better/different equipment to me think of the quality of
the raw cuts.

So, I have uploaded a new track to my server.

http://djcj.org/audio/kotau/ascension/ascension_unity.ogg
size: 112MB (about an hour long)

If you have the time to download it and give me some feedback on what
you think needs to be done to the levels to bring out the sound and make
it really crisp I would appreciate your feedback.

This particular track I consider to be in the Tech House genre. If that
is the kind of sound you are into or if you just want to hear some of
my synthesis experiments then I think you will enjoy the track even
without any processing to sharpen up the soundscape. The level is
consistent throughout the track. There are no spikes so I'm pretty sure
there are no nasty surprises. Obviously it is designed to be played at
volume in a club type setting so please keep that in mind. You may want
to adjust the high and middle end in order to bring out the intensity of
the low end at high volume.

For these tracks I am not going to do any editing. It will simple be a
case of selecting a section that starts and ends nicely and then
processing it with whatever people here suggest to brighten up or
otherwise bring out the sounds that have been captured.  FWIW, I'm
already really happy with the recordings I got. I have managed to
capture a selection of house, tech, break, dnb, dub, ambient and bits
and bleeps. In fact a couple of the tracks even sound like a 4 piece
rock band and a live drummer are playing on them. I have been entirely
surprised by the amount of variation in the rhythms, melodies and
patterns that I was able to get out of ams during this session.

It's amazing what can be accomplished sitting in front of a powerful
Linux audio workstation for 48 hours straight when your in the right
mood :-)

Enjoy and I look forward to your feedback. I hope y'all will get as much
of a kick out of hearing some of these sounds as I have while bringing
them forth.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey