[LAU] oh yoshimi, one more time

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jan 30 01:33:46 EST 2010

Folderol wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:39:51 -1000
> david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Folderol wrote:
>>> If they don't even appear in Rosegarden then I wonder if you've got
>>> MIDI set up correctly. Is it a USB keyboard? I believe they are
>>> inclined to have latency problems and you might just be overfilling the
>>> 'pipe' :o
>> It's a MIDI keyboard (Yamaha PSR225GM) without USB capability. The
>> XMidiPort provides 2 standard MIDI cables at one end and a standard USB
>> connector at the other. It is connected into a USB hub that has a number
>> of other things connected to it (none in active use).
>
> Hmmm. I usually go through a 'real' MIDI port.

My laptops don't have 'real' MIDI ports. One of the desktop machines
does, courtesy of its Audiophile 2496, but I have no 'real' MIDI cables.

> OK, just tried going via the MidiSport 2x2 playing two-handed arpeggios
> as fast as I can, and recording in Rosegarden. The only missing notes
> as far as I can tell are ones I didn't hit!
>
> I wonder if your hub is a proper 'high speed' one or just claims to be
> USB2 compatible and down-converts to USB1.

It's a proper high speed USB2 hub that claims to be compatible with
USB1.1. I have a USB2 scanner hooked up through it, and when I scan
high-res 24-bit color, it scans at USB2 speeds. Having accidentally used
it ONCE on a different machine that had only USB 1.1 ports, I *know* the
speed difference! ;-)

> Have you tried it without the hub?

Not yet. I plan to.

--