[LAU] Ascension: Music made in Linux

Marius Stoica mariustoica at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 04:32:34 EST 2010

Hi, I'd like to add a few words.
When I first listen to your soundfile I was very disappointed (I said to
myself that this is an excess of intention or just a buggy soundfile), but
after reading the other mails I definitely think that this is something to
be criticized.

No offense, but here it goes:

You can not advertise something to be something that it isn't. I mean,
sorry, but did you even read the article about tech house on
Wikipedia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techhouse>or the Ishkur's
guide to electronic music <http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/> sound
examples on tech house. And you can not say that this file is just
"unprocessed", I mean if you look at the waveform and listen to the sound
there's obviously something wrong with it, a codec problem or just a bad
recording.
My belief is, although experimenting with linux audio can be a very
consistent and creative result, this doesn't mean that you can easily get a
piece of music or even a piece of noise and show it to anyone. I love noise,
drones and experimental sound, but also in this case the redundancy its
something hard to avoid and an art to achieve.

Patrick, you should be honest about your soundfile and you should try to be
more careful and respectful when you want a feedback from the list.

That was on my mind...
I wish you all the best and a lot of fun with linux audio stuff

marius