[LAU] Ascension: Music made in Linux

hollunder hollunder at lavabit.com
Sun Jan 31 04:36:21 EST 2010

Excerpts from Patrick Shirkey's message of 2010-01-31 05:00:06 +0100:

> On 01/30/2010 11:15 PM, Peter Geirnaert wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Patrick Shirkey
> > <pshirkey at boosthardware.com <mailto:pshirkey at boosthardware.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi,
> >
> >     I had some fun with alsamodularsynt [snip] sitting in front of a
> >     powerful
> >     Linux audio workstation for 48 hours straight [snip] :-)
> >

> > Maybe now you could split the track up in frequency ranges and use
> > compression on each resulting track, instead of simply using EQ on the
> > original.
>
> I tried to work with splitting up the frequency range a bit. It's a bit
> of a hassle to arrange. Does anyone know of something like a 30 band
> parametric which can output 30 channels of stereo? That would be a handy
> tool.
>
> > I don't know if there's a compressor with side chain input available,
> > but that might be useful too, e.g. to make the bass frequency range
> > 'pump' down the other frequency ranges. (IIRC, there was a tutorial
> > about doing that with LMMS).
> > If you have the higher frequency range on a separate track, add some
> > reverb or panning or delay ?
> > An expander or gate could add rhythm accentuation.
> >
> > Just my 2p, I didn't find the time to do all this to see if it works ;-)
> >

> I'm looking at the side chain compressor option. Does anyone have a
> suggestion for which plugin to use?

The calf plug-ins come to mind. The svn version has a sidechain
compressor but I haven't tried to use it yet. You'll likely need to run
it in calfjackhost.
Afaik there are also a couple of ladspa sidechain compressors that could
be used in jack-rack.

Sidechaining is afaik not easy in ardour2.8.x.

Regards,
Philipp