[LAU] [Absolutely OT] - for musicians only

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Sun Jan 31 05:20:06 EST 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 21:55 +0000, Folderol wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:58:39 -0800
> Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:

> > > I only know one Stephane on LAU - the Jack2 one - are you
> > > you referring to him ? Any pointers to his work ?
> > > It would be great if we could do that *live* ...
> >
> > Stéphane Magnenat,
> >
> > http://stephane.magnenat.net/music.html
> >
> > I have no idea if that's the JACK2 dude, but his choral peices done in Linux are pretty impressive.
> >
> > -ken
>
> Just finally got around to checking this out. If you hadn't told me
> these weren't real singers I'd never have guessed it :?

Nowhere on the page does it say the voices were synthesized, and on the
second piece it actually has a list of the names of the performers.

The composer uses open-source software running on Linux to compose and
score the piece, but not to perform it.  It's a bit of a shame - a
really good physical-modelling voice synth would be fun...

Gordon MM0YEQ